This course is the NRA’s Personal Protection in the Home course, which satisfies the State of Michigan’s training requirement to obtain a Concealed Pistol License. Trainees who complete the course will receive an NRA Personal Protection in the Home certificate. This certificate is used as proof of training to apply for a CPL license in the State of Michigan.
- Using the firearm safely and responsibly.
- Proper mindset when facing a life threatening encounter.
- Mental awareness and preparation.
- Defensive pistol skills including marksmanship considerations, cover, concealment, and various shooting postures.
- Legalities of firearm ownership, possession, and the use of deadly force.
- Personal protection strategies in the home and in public.
- Responding to a life threatening encounter.
- The aftermath of a violent encounter.
- Safe firearm storage methods.
- Selecting the proper handgun, ammunition, and holster for concealed carry.
- This class is 8 hours long.
- There will be 5 hours of instruction and 3 hours of range time.
- Trainees are expected to have basic firearm proficiency, such as K&B, LLC’s Introduction to the Modern Handgun course, or equivalent experience.
- Before class, read and understand the 4 rules of firearm safety.
- Note taking supplies
- Snacks and drink necessary each day for 8 hours
- Handgun (if you do not have a handgun, instructors will have one available for your use during the range portion of class)
- Ammunition (100 rounds minimum)
- Eye protection
- Ear protection
- Your firearm’s manual.