Keep and Bear has the following courses available. For specific date/time/location offerings, see our Course Offerings page.
- Family Firearm Safety: This course is intended for those who are considering their first firearm, or have just purchased their first firearm(s), and want to ensure they have considered important safety and legal aspects to firearm ownership, as well as safe and responsible firearm handling. This class is entirely classroom. It is NOT a shooting instruction course.
- Essential Handgun: A beginner level class focusing on firearm safety, handling, ownership, and shooting. Includes classroom and range segments to instill safety and basic shooting fundamentals.
- Michigan Concealed Pistol License: This course is the NRA Personal Protection in the Home course, which meets the State of Michigan training requirements to obtain a CPL License. A training certificate is awarded upon successful completion of a written test and range performance.
- CPL Renewal: This course covers justifiable use of force as well as defensive shooting fundamentals and range time.
- Intermediate Handgun 1: This course is intended to go beyond the CPL course into the needs of the shooter once they have their license. Drawing technique, establishing a proper grip, sight picture and alignment, trigger control, multiple real-world factors including common malfunction drills, multiple target zones, multiple targets, and more are included.
- Intermediate Handgun 2: This course is intended to go beyond the CPL course into the needs of the shooter once they have their license. Drawing technique, establishing a proper grip, sight picture and alignment, trigger control, basic footwork drills (stepping and pivoting), moving and shooting, recognition of cover and concealment, and multiple shooting positions are included.
- Firearm Cleaning and Maintenance: This course is specifically designed as a hands-on session to clean to maintain reliability and longevity. Participants in this class will be introduced to the process of safely preparing a cleaning station, firearm breakdown, and participate in hands-on cleaning.
- Personal Protection: This is a melee-based class including open-hand and handheld weapon applications. Primary focus is on percussion (striking) applications and escapes from common grabs, chokes, etc. with emphasis on escaping the situation or creating the time/distance to draw a firearm.
- Martial Gunfighting: Instruction includes the Use of Force Spectrum and better prepares the trainee to fluidly transition between levels of force as a protection-based scenario changes. The intent is to allow the trainee to bridge the gap between their martial training and firearm training.
- Tactical Tomahawk: This class explores fighting methods of the modern tomahawk, including striking, weapon retention, and controls.
- Emergency Preparedness 1 (Shelter in home): This course covers basic individual and family emergency preparedness using risk analysis methodologies.
- Emergency Preparedness 2 (Emergency kits): The roles of “Get Home Bags”, “Bug Out Bags”, and “Indefinite Evacuation Bags” are covered, as well as suggested contents and a methodology for creating a tiered emergency kit system.