The State of Michigan does NOT require a renewal class for your CPL. When filling out the renewal, the applicant must attest they have had ” at least three hours of review of the required training and has had at least one hour of firing range time in the six months immediately preceding the renewal application.”
We have had multiple original trainees request if there is a way to get this required renewal training with us. To that end, we are offering our CPL Renewal.
What it is:
Renewal class will be held the same day as our regular CPL class. Renewal trainees will come to the CPL class after the lunch break.
The renewal segments will include the legalities on use of force, shooting fundamentals, and range time. This will culminate in meeting the 3 hour review of material and range time (shooting time is also ‘reviewing the required training’).
Renewal trainees will get a certificate that says they did this. Please note, this certificate is NOT REQUIRED during the renewal process, and the certificate will not state that it meets the training requirement for a CPL (because it does not). However, it will be proof that you did the required review should the renewal be questioned. DO NOT INITIALLY SEND THIS CERTIFICATE IN WITH YOUR RENEWAL.
NOTE: If Keep and Bear, LLC alumni prefer to retake the entire course for a full review, use the coupon code ‘proficiency’ for a deep discount. This code is only for our alumni who took their initial CPL course with us.
Renewal topics include:
- The legalities of justifiable use of force in the State of Michigan.
- Proper defensive shooting fundamentals, including stances, grip, hold control, trigger control, sight alignment, sight picture, follow through, cover and concealment, and shooting from kneeling.
- Range time covering the above, and ‘defensive accuracy’ considerations for balancing accuracy with the needed immediacy of shooting defensively.
- Before class, read and understand, and practice the 4 rules of firearm safety.
- Note taking supplies.
- Snacks and drink necessary each day for 4 hours.
- Handgun (if you do not have a handgun, instructors will have one available for your use during the range portion of class).
- Ammunition (100 rounds minimum). (If using a K&B, LLC handgun, purchase an ammo pack here.)
- Eye protection.
- Ear protection.
- Your firearm’s manual.