This course is intended to introduce people new to the world of firearms a safe and measured exposure to best practices, safe handling, proper terminology, and basic understanding of handgun fundamentals. This course is taught in a respectful, stress free manner. Safety, student comfort and minimizing anxiety are primary objectives for the training environment. Trainees will earn a certificate of completion.
- The rules of firearm safety.
- Basic anatomy of modern handguns.
- Basic anatomy of a cartridge.
- Understanding of calibers and cartridge types.
- Bullet types and their intended usage.
- How handguns, magazines, and ammunition all work together.
- Common malfunctions and how to safely address them.
- Choosing the handgun right for you.
- The legalities of handgun ownership and transport.
- How to shoot. Stances, grips, etc.
- Sight picture and alignment.
- Firearm control (grip, hold, breath, trigger).
- Range layout, rules, and what to expect from your first time shooting.
- Range commands.
- Actual shooting.
- This class is 5-8 hours long.
- There are approximately 3-5 hours of instruction and 2-3 hours of range time.
- Before class, read and try to understand the 4 rules of firearm safety.
- Note taking supplies
- Snacks and drink necessary for an 8 hour class
- Handgun (if you do not have a handgun, instructors can have one available for your use during the range portion of class. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.)
- Ammunition (100 rounds minimum). (Ammunition can be purchased for this class. See here for ordering.)
- Eye protection
- Ear protection
- Your firearm’s manual.